Most companies wonder why they are not getting government funding. Their friends are, the company next door is, so why aren’t they?
With my 15 years of experience at Solertia, I have seen many companies have success with government funding, but also some companies that lost out on this opportunity due to a more reactive approach. In Quebec and Canada wide, there are thousands of government programs to choose from. So how do you know which one is best for you? What can you do to ensure your company can benefit from these programs?
Here are the top 10 best practices to increase your chances of being approved for government funding:
- Be proactive – plan projects 12 months in advance
- Gather enough pertinent information to ensure your projects qualify
- Ensure financial information is up-to-date and ready to be shared with the government
- Ensure your projects are in line with government priorities
- Place emphasis on the expected outcomes
- Planning is everything – add government deadlines to your calendar
- Research and be aware of the program details
- Participate in webinars and conferences that the government offers
- Sign up for government newsletters for your industry
- Sell your business case to the government
Pursuing government funding can be time consuming and complicated. Do not get discouraged; let the experts help make the process easier. I am always available to assist in any way; be it to answer questions, to coach you along the application process or to prepare the all the necessary documentation.
By Elysa Rodier